Saturday, June 4, 2011

MeMom's Cake in a Pan

P1600818


It took me years to get the recipe for the icing down right. I was using too much milk! This is my Dear Professor's family treasure--a recipe for what some call Texas Sheet Cake, or simply chocolate cake from scratch. It is good. And others love it as well. You just can't go wrong with chocolate!

(The recipe is written as I received it. Be sure to read my comments about the amount of milk for the icing.)

MeMom's Cake in a Pan

Cake
2 1/2 c sugar
1 c shortening
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c flour
1/3 c cocoa
1 c buttermilk
1 c boiling water.

Cream shortening with sugar, salt, eggs, soda. Add
cocoa. Add remaing ingredients, mixing in boling water
last. Pour into 9x13 inch pan and bake at 325*F for 45
minutes to an hour. (test by sticking a toothpick in the
middle. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done.)


Icing
1/4 c cocoa
2 c sugar
2/3 c milk
1/2 c butter
1/4 tsp salt
tsp butter flavored vanilla

Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add sugar.
cocoa, salt. Add milk (I have used 1/4c to 1/3c
buttermilk or evaporated milk) Bring to a boil, stirring
constantly. Boil gently 2 minutes, or until it begins to
thicken. Remove from heat and beat in the vanilla.
Pour over warm cake.

1 comment:

  1. It looks SUPER moist. I haven't had one of these in years.

    ReplyDelete